Saturday, August 30, 2014

Of Bubblegum Kisses and Smiling Donkeys

 photo LisaMcCue_zpsef9c13fc.jpg
(Artwork: Lisa McCue)

It seems our little girl, Abby, is under the weather. I noticed the other day that her eye was watering a little. It didn't look like a big deal though, so I made sure to keep a closer eye on her just in case.

The next evening I noticed her cheek beneath that eye was swollen. She still acts okay. She's still eating. Her behavior and appetite hasn't changed at all, so I guess she encountered something like a wasp or scorpion... (We have those everywhere and Abby loves to befriend everything)... or perhaps an ant while rock hunting. (Abby is an avid pet rock hunter. I'm always the bad guy with her favorite game though, because I won't allow her to gnaw on them or bring them inside the house. I don't want her damaging her teeth and if she brings them inside she obsessively hoards and guards them from underneath the bed).

My grandmother's husband used to be the head of the large animal clinic at Texas A&M University, and he told us once that it's okay to give dogs the tiniest bit of Benadryl, so we did. To my surprise, Abby loves it. She thinks it's a treat. I guess she likes bubblegum flavor.  photo gum.gif

Photobucket

 photo 300rain_zpsb388a110.jpg

In other news, we received some MUCH NEEDED rain Thursday afternoon. (Although all week a few rain showers have passed us right by, which is really becoming irritating. I don't like being teased with rain when we need it so much). We really need more, but it was glorious while it lasted. It was extremely humid out, but seeing rain again was a welcoming sight nonetheless.

 photo ee7a7d157dcc8818587e6af7200214b0_zps829b2151.jpg

I think the cattle would agree with me, but I can't say the same for "Hugs" the donkey. I think she's a bit of a diva, not liking to get all wet. What do you think?







The "grin" that Hugs does in that last video reminds me of the donkey in Shrek. It's hilarious! I've never seen her do that before.

Photobucket

More Hummingbirds!

I really need to give them names. There are 3 or 4 of them. These first three photos were taken from the kitchen window. (With me trying to look invisible while standing on a chair).

I also managed to snap a couple pics of Diana Cottontail.

 photo 1009_600_zpsfcca6e27.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 013_600_zps41ecd98a.jpg

 photo 2007_600_zpsbcdc7a88.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 012_600_zps38239c9c.jpg

Photobucket

And more...

I took these from the front porch.

 photo 018_600_zps84e4c25d.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 033_600_zpsf220c817.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 017_600_zps6e988bba.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 031_600_zpsd6d76daa.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 022_600_zps3507453b.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 020_600_zps2afc59d9.jpg
(Larger Pic)

Photobucket

Roadrunner!

We've seen two near the house so far. I think they have babies, too.



Photobucket

 photo yikes.jpg

In unsettling news, the snakes are still coming around. I'm really growing tired of them. I really hope this isn't the norm, but since we've moved here they're everywhere. They shouldn't even be here because we do keep the yard mowed and clear of debris.

I'm terrified of stepping outside or even in the garage. Between the poisonous snakes and black widow spiders, it's life or death out there! Maybe this is just country living, I don't know. But honestly... we're not that far into the boonies. We do have neighbors on all sides of us.

And quite frankly nothing has turned out as planned.

We wanted to make these 2 acres a showstopper, but thanks to the heat and the grasshoppers eating everything in sight, the gardens are nonexistent and the grass is dead or just simply won't grow no matter how much seed we put out or how much we water it. All this slaving in the heat has been for nothing.

We also don't have our crafting shed/barn yet. My mother and I both NEED that barn since in this house there's no room to be creative. Compared to our last home, this one is like living in a doll's house. It's a little claustrophobic and there's no room for storage. We gave up a bigger home for the 2 acres, but so far we haven't been able to enjoy it.

 photo gah_zpse0ab7888.gif  photo sarcasm_zps3a856fd6.gif

Thank you, poisonous snakes. Thank you, black widow spiders. Thank you, scorpions. Thank you, grasshoppers-practically-carrying-the-house-off-to-Neverland.

Thank you, one and all!


Sharing with CAMERA CRITTERS / SATURDAY'S CRITTERS / I'D RATHER B BIRDIN' / OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY

 photo ttfn_yellow_zps48e0d46f.png

26 comments:

  1. What a great post. I love the donkey HUGS.. what a cutie.. I think she was enjoying the rain.. The hummers are beautiful. And it is very cool to have the Roadrunner visiting..Wonderful critter post! Thank you for sharing your post with my Saturday's Critters... Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I love your hummingbird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful animals. Your donkey does seem a bit put out by the rain. Great shots of the hummingbirds.
    Hope your little dog gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these photos and great videos. I hope Abby's eye is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful birds, great variety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my dear Kristin!!! What a wonderful post...and your hummers are 'to die for beauties"!!!

    If you'd like do consider adding this post link to I'd Rather B Birdin' meme to share your bird photo treasures. It opened for linking at noon Texas time..

    http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com


    And........yes, those cicadas are L O U D!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, the grasshoppers!!!! When we lived in Ledbetter, I have visions of having the kind of garden I'd had in Virginia. Oh, nooooo! The grasshoppers would come and devour everything! I mean, I lived 6 miles from one of the most gorgeous garden spots at Festival Hill, where I worked, and they didn't seem to have problems, so I asked why. I was told about a poison that wouldn't work the first year you put it out, but worked on the eggs, or something, and by the third year, you wouldn't see a single one. I'm not big on using poisons, and I wasn't sure how long we were going to live there, so I just gave up on having a garden. ANYWAY, loved your donkey photos! He was saying..."Get me out of this rain and under this tree!":-) Fantastic hummer shots too, and the roadrunner (did you know roadrunners will kill songbirds!) Neat post overall. I agree you should link to Anni's I'dRather Be Birding with this same post, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like owls. I love owls, but we try not to draw them here because we know they eat bluebirds. (We rescued a bluebird fledgling a few Easter's ago, so we're partial to them).

      I think I've heard about that poison for the grasshoppers, too. I think that's what we ordered a while back. (There are several brands, but the one we were going to use was Nolo) . The order wasn't here even after a month, so we canceled it. After seeing your comment, we decided to order it again. We're desperate, and I was just reminded that it isn't poisonous to animals. (Only some insects).

      I was at Round Top the other day and their flowers were perfect. I'm guessing they use the same stuff as Festival Hill does. (I've been meaning to visit Festival Hill. I've never been there).

      Kristin

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos of the hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos! Hope your little Abby is better soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I love your hummingbird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Hummingbird shots are awesome. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking to I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend...it's always appreciated!!

    I also just skimmed through your comment reply to Marie....you rescued a bluebird?!! How awesome is that?!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beauties you have that come to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristin- Your hummingbirds are so adorable, I love the orange feathers on their throats that overlap like scales on a fish, so decorative. I empathize with you about your drought, poisonous snakes, black widow spiders, and grasshoppers. I did google one solution, I guess they are also problematic but apparently could help with all those problems- Guinea hens. I guess they would eat the non-poisonous snakes too, a pity. I lived in those circumstances for 19 years, God warned me twice in advance (still small voice) about the hidden presence of two different rattlesnakes. I killed an additional 2 or 3 with a shovel. I also was bitten twice by black widow spiders, meat tenderizer (papain or bromelain) or fresh fruit with proteolytic enzmes like papaya, pineapple, figs, etc. on the bite immediately does help some at least with the wound. I used to patrol some prime hiding places and kill them regularly. I lived in a suburb so Guinea hens probably wouldn't have worked there but perhaps they could work for you. High-topped boots could help with peace of mind, too, and never reaching into grass or places where you cannot see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've thought of getting guinea hens, but decided against it when we discovered how vocal they can be. I hear that they can get pretty l-o-u-d, and I don't want our neighbors to hate us or the dogs to be barking at them each time they hear them. We've also thought of getting a donkey, but understand they need to be in pairs. We'd have to have at least two, but we've sworn off getting anymore animals and we're not sure we're going to stay here after all. If we did ever move, we'd have to give them away.... which is something I'm incapable of doing. I'm a mush when it comes to pets. It'd break my heart to have to give them up.

      I really don't know why we have so many snakes here, unless it's because of the lizards. (There are a lot of them here and they are pretty large). My grandmother has a house in the woods and for decades she hasn't had the amount of snakes we have. It's a mystery.

      And high-topped boots? I never go out without my rubber boots. (Too frightened otherwise. I refuse to even go near the barn). I wear those ugly boots everywhere. I only wish they were snake boots!

      Delete
  15. Hope Abby is feeling better. That donkey does know enough to come out of the rain, but at first she seemed that the only solution was to shake off the drops! Great hummer photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your hummingbird pictures. Oh I hate snakes and spiders too. please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hoping Abby is A Ok now. Those hummingbird photographs were simply amazing. I enjoyed your style of writing very much. It felt comfortable to visit. I promise to do it more often.
    JM, Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thank you. I'm glad it felt like that.

      If you do come back, just keep in mind that it might look a little different with each visit. I'm pretty addicted to constantly changing the header and background wallpaper on here. (Probably the #1 reason I have all these blogs in the first place. I never change the appearance of my other blogs, but this one... incurable OCD).

      Delete
  18. Wow! The birds' captures are so crisp and clear!
    Loved seeing these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but honestly... I attribute the quality of those photos to the awesomeness of this new camera. The macro setting on it is amazing.

      Delete
  19. Great post. I have to say I loved that donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to agree with everyone else, those hummingbird photos are fantastic! Love the artist Lisa McCue, I sold a book with those cute rabbits a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing detain on those hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!