Thursday, September 4, 2014

Goodnight, Moon

 photo 049_615_zpsa153f197.jpg
(Larger Pic)

“The moon is a loyal companion. It never leaves. It’s always there, watching, steadfast, knowing us in our light and dark moments, changing forever just as we do. Every day it’s a different version of itself. Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human. Uncertain. Alone. Cratered by imperfections.”


~ Tahereh Mafi

~♥~♥~♥~♥~~♥~♥~♥~♥~

Isn't that an amazing photo?! I can hardly believe our new camera took it. The zoom on this thing could be compared to a small telescope. I've even seen photos where you can capture a fuzzy Jupiter on this beautiful baby.

I love this camera. L-o-v-e it! It's like having a fourth pet. I swear I'm going to christen it with a name. (And why-ever not? If men can name their cars, surely it's perfectly normal to name a little camera. Right?  photo scratch_zps3adfc319.gif)

I think I'm leaning towards naming it something elegant, like Juliet or Lady Guinevere.
Perhaps even something homey and Disney-ish like Katie Nana...Aunt Polly... Nana Darling.  photo nana.gif Or maybe something that's still Disney, but is just a little bit campy and fun.... Madame Leota?

If I had named my last camera, a fitting name would have been Dumbo.

Here are two more pics that I took:
 photo thsmiley-camera.gif
Pic 2 / Pic 3

I would love to take video next.

I was so excited over these photos that I decided to flip the 'On' switch to my Inner Geek-dom and do a little research on our silvery Orb 'O Night... just for fun.

 photo confession_zps17f6ab8e.png
Okay, so that's a half-truth. I was also looking for a distraction to help tide me over in my Outlander Saturday Countdown. That last episode was packed with kilted testosterone, even though Jamie didn't appear in it for more than a few minutes.

 photo jamie_zps721de797.jpg

Which I guess isn't too traumatic, considering I have every episode on the dvr and next to each title I've added that wonderful 'Protect' icon. (Sort of like Linus's comforting blanket). If I can't brand the Scottish hero as my own in real life, at least I can keep him for myself within the confines of my television set.

That sort of makes him sound like a genie in a magic lamp, only instead it's a sword wielding Highlander from the 1700's with beautiful knees. And a Highlander sprung from romance novels runs circles around wish granting genies.


 photo kilt-1.gif >  photo genie.gif

Ye ken?  photo hrt-1.gif

Sorry. I'll just circle back to the original purpose of this post, aye?

Must focus, must focus, must focus....

Photobucket

 photo moonfacts_zpsb7469c7a.png

 photo SprinklingStars-AmeliaJaneMurray-1820_zps338a2f35.jpg
(Artwork: "Sprinkling Stars" by Amelia Jane Murray, 1820)

- The first man to make proper maps of the moon was Galileo. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but by 1609 he had developed a telescope that could magnify objects to 20 times. With this telescope he began his careful study of the Moon’s surface.

- The dark side of the moon is a myth. In reality, both sides of the Moon see the same amount of sunlight but only one face of the Moon is ever seen from Earth. This is because the Moon rotates around on its own axis in exactly the same time it takes to orbit the Earth, meaning the same side is always facing the Earth. The side we see is lit by reflected sunlight, while the side facing away from Earth lies in darkness and has only been seen by the human eye from a spacecraft.

- If you look at the Moon when it is nearly full, you can see the dark areas which are known as the seas. (They are all given Latin names, such as Mare Serenitatis – the Sea of Serenity, or Mare Frigoris – the Sea of Cold). These are not really seas, but are huge expanses of smooth dark lava.

- The Moon is the fifth largest natural satellite in the Solar System.

- The Moon was probably made 4.5 billion years ago when a large object hit the Earth and blasted out rocks that came together to orbit round the Earth. They eventually melted together, cooled down and became the Moon. For another 500 million years pieces of rock kept striking against the surface of the Moon.

- The Moon will be visited by man in the near future. NASA plans to return astronauts to the moon to set up a permanent space station. Mankind may once again walk on the moon in 2019, if all goes according to plan.

 photo phases_zps493e9da3.jpg
(Via)

- The moon's orbit around Earth is elliptical. At perigee — its closest approach — the moon comes as close as 225,623 miles. At apogee — the farthest away it gets — the moon is 252,088 miles from Earth. On average, the distance from Earth to the moon is about 238,855 miles. However, the moon is moving away from Earth at a rate of about 1.5 inches (4 cm) per year.

- The average distance from the Moon to the Earth is 238,857 miles.

- The far side of the Moon looks quite different due to its lack of maria (ancient pools of solidified lava).

- The Moon is very hot during the day but very cold at night. The average surface temperature of the Moon is 107 degrees Celsius during the day, and -153 degrees Celsius at night.

- The Moon has no atmosphere, and so we can still see the damage caused billions of years ago.

- A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon.

- The Moon rotates on its axis in around the same length of time it takes to orbit the Earth. This means that from Earth we only ever see around 60% of its surface (50% at any one time).

- Mons Huygens is the tallest mountain on the Moon. It is 4700 meters tall, just over half the height of Mt Everest (8848m).

 photo LINEBAR_zps3b1d2adb.png
My mother and I were just out at the barn, doing some measuring for the new buildings, when we saw this awesome guy.

He's a Texas Spiny Lizard, and is about 8 inches long. We named him Oscar.

 photo 008_600_zps464205ed.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 001_600_zpsda49bcfa.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 007_600_zps0247f28f.jpg
(Larger Pic)

I would have loved to have gotten better photos of him, but he was giving me the stink eye the entire time so I had to zoom in. I'm thinking Oscar likes his space. I'm hoping he'll learn to trust me so that I can get even closer. My father says he's in the barn all the time, so I should run into him again.

What can I say? While some folks have barn cats, we have barn lizards.

 photo LINEBAR_zps3b1d2adb.png
Random Pics:
The hummingbird pics aren't nearly as great as the one's from my last post.
I took these through the window.


 photo 003_600tw_zpsbc3abfcd.jpg
(Larger Pic)

Izzy says Hello....

 photo 017_600_zps9d502b1d.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 012_600t_zps74b88512.jpg
(Larger Pic)

Maddie says Hello, too....

 photo maddiekate600_zpsa72bc0c9.jpg

 photo 001_600_zpsb33630bb.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo LINEBAR_zps3b1d2adb.png

 photo update_zps14032db4.png

 photo 1_325a2_zps09bf0f7f.jpg

Abby appears to be doing better! The swelling beneath her eye is almost completely gone. I'm guessing she had an allergic reaction to an insect bite.

So, her doing better is good news but... on Saturday we take all 3 of the girls in to Tractor Supply for their shots. (I think we're going to take the little one's first, and then Maddie another weekend).

I am NOT looking forward to it at all. I really hope they won't get sick over this, and that we'll be first in line. It had better go by fast. I hate stressing over them being stressed!

Thank Goodness I never had children. I'd have been a basket case, wanting to protect them from the Big Bad Wolf all the time.

Sharing with SKYWATCH FRIDAY / CAMERA CRITTERS / SATURDAY'S CRITTERS / I'D RATHER B BIRDIN'

 photo ttfn_green_zpsf431359e.png

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful moon shot!! What kind of camera are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? Those photos are incredible, just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss hummers we are just not getting them ..Izzy what a sweetheart ..love your owls so natural

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fine resolution of the moon photos is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, so much going on in this post! I'm glad Spare Parts & Pics asked what kind of camera you're using - that moon photo is phenomenal! It's as good as any NASA photo I've ever seen! And as a long time lover of la bella luna, I think it's brilliant. You must have been thrilled when you downloaded it!

    As a lover of all critters, I also love all your animal pics! Maddie and Izzy and Abby are adorable (glad Abby's doing better!), Oscar is very handsome (even his stink-eye expression doesn't detract one bit from his good looks), and I love your hummingbirds - the photo of the one playing Peekaboo with the wasp is so full of personality! What wonderful moments and images you and… Juliet? Guinevere?… captured! (Love your owl rocks, too!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a fantastic picture of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful spiny lizard! And great moon shot, with interesting moon facts (I also really like that first quote!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shots. I love Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous moon shot! The spiny lizard is cool. And I love the hummer! Great post! Thank you for linking up, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos! I love the lizard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your moon shot is amazing! I'm sorry I didn't buy that camera. Maybe some day. I like the lizard too, Oscar looks great, maybe you didn't have to get too close.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the moon shot, the hummer, the lizard. Okay, so I loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've fallen in love with your fur baby!! What a doll face.

    Love, love LOVE the hummingbird images.

    thanks for sharing your link this weekend at I'd Rather B Birdin'! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got the camera I want. I'm using the older model, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great moon pic, Kristin! I purchased the same camera back in April and love it! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG...that moon photo is amazing. I so love learning about the sky, moon and stars..perfect post for me. I hope everyone did OK with their shots...One of my cats had a reaction to the preservative in the vaccine and can't get them anymore, but he is 13 now and never goes out, so I won't worry about it... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!