Saturday, April 11, 2015

Of Busy Mothers and Bossy Swallows

 photo sbranch_estr 400_zpsdz8shthu.jpg
(Artwork: Susan Branch)

The third baby calf was born on Easter!

Right around dusk we looked out the window and saw the newest arrival. It's umbilical cord was still attached, and already that little calf was walking around and eating grass alongside the rest of the cows.

Although there were times that her (or his?) legs wobbled a bit and it was just too tiring to stand.

It reminded me of watching Disney's Bambi cartoon. So cute!

Easter Sunday Videos:











 photo 515-16-SweetlyScrapped_zpsd4f51152.png

 photo 007_600_zpsikdtllk2.jpg
(Larger Pic)

I didn't join the memes last Easter weekend, so to see that post click on the link below:

A Waterlogged Easter Sunday

Photobucket

Before I forget, here's my latest video of the three babies giving their Mamas fits. To me, the 1st video is hilarious:





No matter the species, it looks like Motherhood is exhausting!

 photo roselabel-sweetlyscrapped_500_zpshl8vn4pp.png

April 8th Pictures and Video:

 photo song_500_zps7pmw0xgm.jpg
(Artwork: Susan Branch)

The birds you see here are the Crested Caracara, or Mexican Eagle as they are often called.

I'm so glad to have our first hummingbird return!!! I hope we get dozens of visitors as we did last year.

 photo 038_600_zpsr2su1zh1.jpg

 photo 027_600_zps5p9orhwt.jpg
(Larger Pic)



 photo 043_600_zpsgvft3h0r.jpg

 photo 036_600_zpsbyuhdrj7.jpg

 photo 012_600_zpsgzcusdmd.jpg
(Larger Pic)



I love how the Mama Cow tries chasing the Caracara's away from her baby!

 photo 045_500_zpsyyiqdmwi.jpg

 photo 041_506cr_zpstgrnuumi.jpg



The swallows and I are having a battle of wits again this year. They simply refuse to build their dirty nests inside the barn, and instead want to use our front and back porches. Just like last year I've had to resort to taping plastic grocery bags in the corners and around the porch light. It's rather unsightly, and the wind keeps tearing the bags away, but it's the only method I've personally found that keeps them away.

In the video above they weren't yelling at me, which was HIGHLY unusual. Whenever I stop them from building their nests on our front porch they fly really close to me and cuss me out.

There's zero doubt in my mind that that's what they're doing.

 photo 050_600_zpsqhwe90gm.jpg

 photo 030_600cr_zpsgb0r9j2b.jpg
(Larger Pic)

 photo 033_600_zpsu9tsr9rf.jpg



 photo 041_600_zpsgevbrnc0.jpg

 photo 028_600_zpswaz8niya.jpg
(Larger Pic)

I really need to stop taking so many pics of the neighbor's cows.  photo cow_zpscf581b99.gif
It's turned into an obsession, I'm afraid.

That's what happens when you've lived in suburbia your whole life, and all that time you wished you had cows as your next door neighbors instead of just people.

It shouldn't be too difficult to resist being a cow voyeur this time around though, because it's getting wickedly hot and humid out there again.
And then there's the fact that it's SCARY out there, too.  photo para.gif

The snakes have returned. The dogs and I found the skin of a copperhead underneath one of the bedroom windows the other day.  photo eek2.gif We've been researching all the different ways to deter them from coming around. Our latest attempt is watered down Lysol sprayed around the property and house. It turns out that a lot of ranchers do this.

Of course, the #1 way of getting rid of snakes is having guinea's on your property, and we actually had a conversation about them with some guy at Tractor Supply. Photobucket Unfortunately, he told us what I already knew: you can't keep tabs on them, they get in trouble with the neighbors by eating their vegetables and what-not, and they're extremely noisy.

It makes me wish we had a lot more than our little 2 acres. If we had a lot more, we'd be able to get some guinea's no problem.

~♥~♥~♥~♥~~♥~♥~♥~♥~

Sharing with these critter friendly memes:

CAMERA CRITTERS / SATURDAY'S CRITTERS / I'D RATHER B BIRDIN'

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I have plastic bags in the corners, too! I'm definitely losing the battle with the swallows.

    Gorgeous pictures. Nothing is sweeter than a new calf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolute treasure....of nature! From the cute calving....to the beautiful feathered friends!! Awesome.

    Thanks for sharing this link today at I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I would be watching the cows and their calves all day. I love the videos with the cows, calves, deer, the carcara, swallows, bluebirds and the cute donkey.. What a great place to live.. Wonderful post! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cows with their calves and the hummingbirds are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some beautiful birds living in your area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristin ~ It looks like you are busy and having fun watching the new calves! They are adorable. Your hummingbirds are gorgeous too ~ I wish my camera was capable of getting that close, or at least close enough to get a good crop of the photo. I'm so glad they have returned to your home ~ they are my favorites. I can't deal with snakes at all. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, your photos and videos are just wonderful! I am so impressed with your bird shots! Wow! And the caracara...I never saw one when we lived there and would have loved to! Great seeing the photos and video of them! The calves are just TOO adorable!!! I love the way their ears flop up and down when they run! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!