Sunday, December 20, 2015

Decking the Halls at Crick Hollow

 photo w 600_zpswnnfq5i7.png
(Artwork: Kathy Goff and Inge Look)

First of all, let me just say that the dangerous critters are everywhere. It feels more like Halloween here at Crick Hollow than Christmastime.

Here's what I mean:

- Yesterday I think I saw a dead wolf or coyote on the side of the road. (All I know is it was BIG, and it's fur was really fluffy).

- In College Station today my father saw a bobcat standing at the side of the road.

- Tonight the people in our 'neighborhood' (if you can call it that) received an email that there was a bobcat very nearby this morning, and that even more bobcats have been seen as well.

- When the sun was almost completely set tonight, I took the girls out into the backyard to potty. Izzy sort of jumped and then ran in the house. I wasn't sure if something startled her or if she just wanted to get back inside the house with the other girls for fear of them getting a treat before her.

I had to know, so I got the flashlight, stepped down on to the brick, and then shined the light on the fence where she had been. I saw nothing, so I thanked my lucky stars that if probably wasn't a snake.

Of course, just then I hear A LOT of scraping and a commotion on the side of the house - directly behind me and only about 12 inches away. In the corner of my eye I see a small animal; just a flash of gray fur. The only thing separating it from me was our little watering can. (Color me petrified).

I was terrified of 1). Being attacked, and 2). The dogs getting attacked from going back outside since the door was still open.

And so I did a quick MacGyver move off the brick, back onto the patio and inside the house.

Normally, I would have thought it was just another rabbit but a couple months ago we put up netting alongside the fence to keep them out. (They used to loooove hanging out in our fenced-in backyard at night). I don't think it was a rabbit though because every rabbit I've ever seen around here has been brown and not gray. I also don't see how one could have gotten through the netting.

I then thought maybe it was just a squirrel, and it was trying to hide some nuts inside the watering can. Hopefully that's what it was, but even so... we've had a few rabid skunks in these parts before so you can never be too careful.

I just hope all these critters will steer clear of us from now on!  photo eek2.gif

Although I did see something funny yesterday. (Apart from the scary wolf/coyote). During the drive to see the new Star Wars movie a blackbird crossed the road in front of us. Photobucket It looked so funny seeing a bird just aimlessly walking across the road like that; as if his comrades dared him to do it. (That reminds me that a couple weeks ago my father saw a group of chickens crossing the road. As in literally crossing the road. Lol!)

Okay, enough babbling, for I now bring to you... drum roll... part 5 of my lousy Christmas photos circa 2015. (Apart from my first batch of Christmas photos, I don't know what happened. Sigh... I'm thankful no one is looking at this).

 photo candycaneline2_zpsna0srukr.gif

 photo 045_500v_zps53eifxjw.jpg

 photo 005_600_zpszgwosm4a.jpg

 photo 020_600_zps7vpwnuo6.jpg

 photo 008_600_zpsgt1jmulp.jpg

 photo 010_450v_zpsv8i7shwy.jpg

 photo 012_600_zpsyymnxpst.jpg

 photo 019_600_zps5z4iy8ph.jpg

 photo 021_600_zps39ssqpfp.jpg

 photo 002_400v_zpsxep4pslr.jpg

 photo 031_600_zpsja6596ni.jpg

 photo 010_600_zpsoxrz4ahk.jpg

 photo 003_400v_zpspfbnitvv.jpg

 photo 061_600_zpshsjpjcmi.jpg

 photo 006_600_zpsd67xmufy.jpg

 photo 003_400v_zps3vn6jzo8.jpg

 photo rdeer_600b_zps7d0oeajf.jpg

 photo 002_600_zpskgt1bylq.jpg

 photo 054_600_zpsvb8fidie.jpg

 photo 001_400v_zpsdpgfxnzc.jpg

 photo 019_600_zpshzwlc5m2.jpg

 photo 055_600_zpskwpbe6sb.jpg

 photo 039_400v_zpsxg1bcbr1.jpg

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures. Scary events. I think I am far too nervous to live in the country. Or maybe it is the city that makes me think that! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!