Saturday, October 8, 2016

Farewell, My Friend...

 photo talking oak_tennyson 500_zpslryqroar.jpg
(Artwork: William Maw Egley)

 photo thou-shalt_zpsp9gok8xu.jpg
 photo 515-16-SweetlyScrapped_zpsd4f51152.png

August 24th and 25th was a hellish day here at Crick Hollow, and I'm not just talking about the 102+ heat index. It was a sad day because our beautiful, precious 60 foot tree was being cut down.
It broke my heart.... truly.  photo cry1.gif

While we are surrounded by trees - and I do mean A LOT of them - we don't really have trees on our actual property, and this one was so gorgeous. We even situated our house to being built where it stands because of that gorgeous tree.

Before it lost all its leaves and got sick, it was a piece of art. It reminded us SO MUCH of the tree in Lord of the Rings in The Shire. It's branches were shaped so elegantly and every species of bird imaginable used that tree. It was so sad to lose it. Ever since we lost it, the bluebirds now just line up on the power lines. Every night there's at least 12 of them.

 photo birds 1.jpg

 photo birds 2.jpg

We ended up spreading the mulch/wood chips on our dirt barn floor, and let me tell you.... that was one tall pile! We also sawed off sections of the logs to make a little pathway to the gazebo. I'm also going to make a fairy house out of one of the big logs.

 photo 26.jpg

I am glad that the tree is still technically on our property, even if it is in a different form. I'd rather it be here in any state rather than elsewhere.

But I have to say that on the second day of chopping it down, when I got up that morning it was really foggy. All the fog surrounding what was left of our tree was SO SAD! The crew returned at 7 am, and that entire day.... seeing it standing tall like that without any branches... well the sight of it gutted me.

 photo 1896504.gif  photo 355v.jpg  photo 9809785.gif

 photo 600_1.jpg

My heart is BROKEN over losing our tree, but having what remains of her still on our property will be therapeutic.

And I gotta say that when it came time to spreading the wood chips on the barn floor and in the flower beds, I felt that all that physical labor just might kill me by the end. Working in the heat and humidity was unbearable!!!!!!!!! (This is Texas after all). I had to take lots of breaks.

And I do mean A LOT.  photo heat-1.gif

By the way, we finally got around to placing something special on the stump of our tree. (We wanted to 'honor' her, you might say).

 photo 9h.jpg

I'll share more pics of it in my next post.

 photo leaf-border_zps05vyehob.jpg

 photo mb 555_zpslxpfpasu.jpg
(Artwork: Marjolein Bastin)

Our neighbor has been letting his fields rest a bit, so that he could bale some hay, which means we haven't seen his cattle for months now. (I miss them).

The good news, however, is that our neighbor told us that he now has more baby donkeys! Another calf was born, too. (It was born really late). It's a white one and is female. I hope he keeps her! He might because it's a girl. He always sells the males.

He's even selling "Zorro" the bull, which makes me a little sad. He says he's getting a new one.

He also told us what happened with his cow that died. He thinks it ate a poisonous plant, which some cows can eat while others can't. Its baby calf he gave to a friend that often takes in orphaned animals. It sounds to me like they're keeping it. He said it's doing really well with them.

But this afternoon... oh boy it is SAD to hear, but the neighbor has separated the baby cows from the Mama's. I've never heard such crying before. This time they are really upset. This was the first time I've heard them being so loud and vocal. Usually they're not THAT noisy.

And as for even more good/bad news: Our neighbor was struck by a water moccasin near his pond a few weeks ago. THANK GOODNESS he was wearing his boots, although it did get away. It went back to his pond.

He also got a new dog a while back; another German Shepard. Its name is "Walter," and this morning my mother found it playing with a dead snake. I don't know if he killed it (and luckily escaped being bitten), or if he just found it. All I know is Mom said that dog was having the time of his life playing with it.

But enough rambling from me. (I'm probably just talking to myself anyway. That's just one reason why I haven't even bothered with this blog for months now). Time for some photos!

FYI: There's been a lot of migrating birds over the past couple months. I LOVE seeing them pass through.  In my next post I'll have photos and videos of the starlings coming through.

 photo 515Divider1-SweetlyScrapped_zps98efec0f.png

 photo 1.jpg

 photo 2.jpg

We have had SO MANY dragonflies buzzing around with our hummers these past few months. It's like being inside a Disney cartoon! I keep expecting to hear Briar Rose and her prince singing from deep inside the neighbor's woods. Lol!

 photo sb.jpg

 photo 3.jpg

 photo 4.jpg



 photo 5.jpg

 photo 6.jpg

 photo 7.jpg



 photo 8.jpg

 photo 9.jpg

 photo 10.jpg

 photo 11.jpg



 photo 12.jpg

 photo 13.jpg

 photo 14.jpg

 photo 15.jpg

 photo 16.jpg

 photo 17.jpg



 photo 18.jpg

See how sick it was just at the beginning of spring? Her leaves were no longer green and she lost them. Those leaves were e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. Piles and piles of them.

 photo rest stop.jpg

Lots of birds have been flying through over the last month... this week the starlings are around as well.... and I think I've discovered their rest stop locations. Lol!

 photo 19.jpg

 photo 20.jpg

 photo 21.jpg

 photo 22.jpg

 photo 23.jpg



 photo 24.jpg

 photo 25.jpg

 photo 27.jpg

 photo 28.jpg

 photo 29.jpg

 photo 30.jpg

 photo 31.jpg



 photo 32.jpg

 photo 33.jpg

 photo 34.jpg



 photo 35.jpg

 photo 36.jpg

 photo 37.jpg

 photo 38.jpg



 photo 39.jpg

 photo 40.jpg

Possum Hole?

 photo 41.jpg

 photo 42.jpg



 photo 43.jpg

 photo 44.jpg

 photo 45.jpg

 photo 46.jpg



 photo 49.jpg

 photo 50.jpg

 photo 51.jpg

 photo susan branch_line_zpsztuxulsj.jpg

 photo 46.gif As if I need even another blog...

 photo before_the_candlestick 255.jpg

I now have another blog.

Well, it's not really "new," but has been transferred and updated and given a lot of 'cosmetic surgery' if-you-will. It's a 'Spiritual/Dreams/sort of Paranormal-ish' type blog.

It's basically me brainstorming and writing everything down... about something I experienced as a child. It had such an effect on me that I wrote a book loosely based on the experience.

~♥~♥~♥~♥~~♥~♥~♥~♥~

Sharing with these lovely memes:

CAMERA CRITTERS / I'D RATHER B BIRDIN' / OUR WORLD TUESDAY / OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY

 photo yellow.png

17 comments:

  1. incredibky beautiful all of it I come back again and again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees have SO much history. It is sad to see one torn down, especially when you think of all of the history that tree has been around to "see." (I know trees can't see, but I like to think about that, especially when I'm visiting historic sites where trees have been around for 100 years or more!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel for you and your tree. I can understand the loss. And how empty it all seems, but the good thing is, you still have part of it and it'll be with you in a different form now.

    Love the catch up you've shared this weekend. The birds are beautiful...the 'tree house' is an exceptional addition. The deer on the pond...

    It's all good and therapeutic for you, I'm sure.

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us at I'd Rather B Birdin' [and I hope you continue to update when you can]. And yes, being a TX resident I can fully agree with you in that HOT, HOT summer that has finally passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your photos are amazing...thanks so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristin, Thanks for visiting my blog... I will have another on tomorrow.. (I generally publish a blog post on MOndays.) I am enjoying catching up with you --and your blog... It's very sad about that gorgeous tree... Of course, it needed to come down since it obviously was sick. BUT--what a beautiful gal at one time... I understand why you are upset...

    I used to live south of Houston (for 12 yrs) --and I have two kids there (one in Galveston and one in Friendswood).... I have great memories of Texas --but I do remember the horrible HEAT down there....

    Beautiful migrating birds.... AND---I wonder if the farmer took the babies away from their Mamas too soon. Hearing them cry had to be hard.

    Thanks again.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kristin, I honestly thought you had given up blogging hence I've not been over for a while. I do see you on Facebook from time to time but I'm not on there that often. I am so sad about your tree - the loss of one tree is always one too many. Loved all the photos and will pop over to your other blog now. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pretty lackadaisical about blogging for pretty much all year. (Health problems, etc). Not that I really "blog" on this page though. I seem to just post photos and videos. I tend to ramble the most on my Dreams blog, although not very much lately. (The theater's been pretty dark the past couple months, and I've been slaving away on recreating my old Patrick blog). I often prefer Facebook at times, but again... I only have about 2 followers on that. Lol! (Thanks for following me by the way. You were the very first).

      Kristin

      Delete
  7. How so sad when such gorgeous tree was torn down. Trees are alive like other movable creatures. Many critters must have lost their habitat. To me, the creatures and plants in your photos look consoling the tree on their own way. I have seen the similar scenes with the deer standing by the pond. They look like those in Nara Park. Thank you for your visit and a lovely comment.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many gorgeous shots! So sad to see that tree being cut down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These nature pictures are incredible, especially the dragonfly. And you captured the wonderful hummingbird, my beloved bird. These really are great pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great shot of the dragonfly and I can totally understand your sadness about the tree

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand your pain, at the taking down of your lovely old tree. But at least, it was sick and you knew there was a reason.

    With the very old Oak in the next lot over, it was done, for no good reason. Well, the new owner's reason seemed to be, so she could have a drive way there. -sigh- But as I have said, she never had a "stick of luck" with that property, after. And she still has not been able to sell it, to make her "profit." Hehhh-hehh-hehhhh...

    Ohhh your dragonflies!!!! I love them so, and don't have hardly any. -sigh-

    And I hope you find your copy of "Pumpkin Moonshine"!!!!!! ,-)

    Autumn blessings,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such gorgeous photos!! It is indeed a sad, sad day when a tree dies/is felled... I love how you're decorating the stumps (love that wooden house!) Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on my moonboard - I've left a wee reply :) I've also visited your new blog and left a comment :D So lovely to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an impressive post! Sorry about your tree. And the poor lonely calves!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got so wrapped up, in our mutual Old Tree happenings, that I failed to tell you what a beautiful blog you have here!!!!! B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l... A Joy!

    And can you believe, I never heard of "I'd Rather Be Rich"?!?! What a delicious sounding old movie, with wonderful actors like Herminone Ginglold (spelling???), Charlie Ruggles, Maurice Chevalier!!! Ohhh must look for that one!

    Did you ever see "The Reluctant Debutante"... Sandra Dee, Rex Harrison,the fantastic Kay Kendal, and Angelea Lansbury? A delightful romp. Especially with Rex and Kay. :-)))

    And your Header is just sweet!!!! I love to notice Headers.

    Late Autumn blessings,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to check that one out. I think I've heard of it but I don't think I've ever seen it.

    "I'd Rather Be Rich" is my pick-me-up movie for sure. I just wish it was on dvd! I'm lucky to have a my own poor copy of it that I taped off tv eons ago.

    As for my header, I change my header and wallpaper on here quite a bit. It's addictive. Thanks for the compliment!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!