Monday, January 23, 2017

The Best of Friends

 photo 600 paterson.jpg
(Artwork: Brian Paterson)

Christmas and New Years is blessedly over, the Christmas tree has been put away, and Obama's true legacy is finally inside the White House. (I really enjoyed watching the Inaugural proceedings over the weekend. That was the first time I've ever really paid attention to one).

But what's been going on around here lately?
1). We had rain, rain, and more rain for several days.  photo singintherain.gif

Our property looked like that bog in that one creepy scene from Lord of the Rings, but thank goodness the rain has now passed and it's been absolutely gorgeous weather. It isn't cold - at all - but it's been blue skies.

2). On Saturday my parents best friends came over. (We used to live across the street from one another before we moved). It's always nice to see those two gals. They - and their kids - are like family to my Mom.

3). We're still deciding on paint colors for the house. (We're just so tired of it looking like a band aid).

We're also trying - unsuccessfully so far - to decide on a paint color for a couple rooms inside the house.

4). I don't know why, but the donkeys and cows around here have been very VOCAL lately. (Although the cattle I'm always taking pics of are still quiet. It's the other nearby livestock that are so noisy).

5). Yesterday we had such heavy winds. You would have thought a hurricane was blowing through town. It was really strange. The gusts ran up to over 50 mph, so some of our chairs were tossed across the yard and everything is covered in dirt.

Luckily, the electricity only flashed on and off a few times. (I just heard that the Junk Gypsy Headquarters in Round Top lost their power completely and they had to close their store).

The poor donkeys next door (Mom named them "Anna" and "Elsa") absolutely hated those strong winds. They hid inside their barn for most of the day.

6). I recently made one of my Christmas trees a Valentine tree (with whatever decor I had on hand), and tried my hand at needle felting.

I started off making a medium-sized mouse, but I ran out of the felt that I was using. Since I had hit a roadblock with the mouse, I decided to try my hand at felting a little dog. My first one was a little gray dog and the second a white dog. (The gray dog confided in me that he wanted a companion).

They're both pose-able, but since I've still a newbie I'm not going to take my chances at messing them up.

As you'll tell from the photos I took of them, it's been a learning experience for sure. Photobucket

I've definitely made some mistakes, but in trying to correct them I was only making things worse. (Especially on their faces. For example, I used too much felting material on the gray dog's mouth and nose). Because of that, I decided to just leave them be. (I also pretty much gave up on their paws. I could not for the life of me get the felt to wrap around the tips of their paws. I'd rather learn how to use clay for their feet and noses anyway).

I really wanted to make a long-haired pup, and one with wavy or curly fur, but I don't have any of the higher end felt just now. You work with what ya have. (I don't even have whiskers for them).

I know for a fact that I will never be able to make them look beautiful or realistic, like the ones I've seen all over Pinterest, but it was enjoyable.

Well, for the most part it was. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like tossing everything in the neighbor's pond a few times.

Note: After taking the photos I realize I need to "groom" the little guys. Those strands of felting weren't so noticeable until I uploaded the photos. In person they don't look so scraggly.

 photo heart gold.png

 photo 1.jpg

 photo 2.jpg

 photo 3.jpg

 photo 4.jpg

 photo 5.jpg

I should have added little brown spots on the white dog's cheeks, but I felt that if I did it would only draw further attention to the fact that he doesn't have whiskers yet.

 photo 6.jpg

 photo 7.jpg

 photo donkeys_600.jpg

 photo 8.jpg

 photo hershey_600.jpg

 photo 9.jpg

 photo 10.jpg

 photo 11.jpg

See what I mean? His mouth and nose are driving me nuts, but in trying to correct it I was only making him more deformed.

I have to give myself a break though since he was my very first try at felting and a lot of it I just winged along the way. (Finding in depth tutorials was difficult, so I had to incorporate several tutorials as well as just making things up as I went along).

FYI, on the white dog's rump I decided to add hidden Mickey Mouse ears. Lol! (And I purposely didn't want them to be perfectly round, since on real animals the 'patterns' we see on some of them - as in hearts, etc - aren't ever perfectly symmetrical).

 photo 12.jpg

 photo 13.jpg

 photo 2 moon_600.jpg

Not the best photo by a long shot.

 photo 14.jpg

 photo 15.jpg

 photo 16.jpg

 photo 17.jpg

 photo 18.jpg

~♥~♥~♥~♥~~♥~♥~♥~♥~

Sharing with:
WILLY-NILLY FRIDAY 5

 photo ttfn_zps37edc331.png

7 comments:

  1. You have way too much ambition!!!!!!! I can't even imagine trying to felt!!! Yikes! So what you did, looks amazing to me. too cute for words.

    Cute idea for a Valentine Tree. I always wanted to do that. But our little tree is upstairs again.

    Do you buy carrots, by the barrel full?????? I think it would be a good idea, with all you feed your "over-the-fence-friends"!

    Gorgeous Moon shot!!!!! Oh my, oh sigh....

    Again, you have way too much ambition! I will just take my non-crafty-self away now. And lick my wounds. LOLLLL

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have commented here, Hon.

    Come and check you comments.

    :-))))))

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't see your comment until now. Ever since Blogger "improved" the Dashboard to make it more "convenient," I started checking for comments through my email. These two never showed up. (No idea why as they've always shown up before. I just hate that they changed it. Now I have to check each individual blog for comments - not that they're common - instead of seeing at first glance every single blog listed as opposed to just one. It's really inconvenient and takes a lot longer now).

    The carrots for the donkeys we just buy at the store. We purchase the jumbo bag. They go through them rather quickly.

    The moon shot is actually a poor one. About 2 years ago I got the BEST shot and ever since then I've never been able to replicate it. It's actually a lot easier getting a good photo of the moon when it isn't full and has shadows. Otherwise, it's too bright and you have to dabble with the settings. (All the while the bugs are attacking me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan. 26th
    LOVE your blog look today!!!! That header pic is the sweetest!!!!

    I check for comments, twice, also.

    In my blog email, where all/any of my blogs comments come.

    And on the Private "blog," where I have the Blogger-Show-New-Comments Gadget.

    Just noticed something on your Sidebar.... "I live in constant fear of accidentally mentioning something...." Grrrrrrreat!!! lol.

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! On my old blog I used to change the look all the time. (I was very OCD about it).

    About the sidebar quote: It really is true. I'm very observant of people and can spot BS from 100 miles away, but I never want to hurt anyone's feelings either.

    I cannot stand conflict, and in this day and age people are so overly sensitive and easily offended that it's safer to just keep our deepest thoughts to ourselves. (I guess it's good I'm introverted. Keeping ones thoughts to oneself seems to be the happier route).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those little felted dogs! Just love them! I think they are perfect. I could never make anything so cute, I don't think. And I love those hearts cut out of pages with words.

    And your donkey with his carrot is just darling. He looks like a sweet, contented animal.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ought to look at the felted animals on Pinterest. So REALISTIC looking! I don't know how they do it.

      The donkeys actually belong to the neighbors, but I have to say... they are so sweet and make me wish I had a couple of my own. There are larger donkeys next door, too. (The ones next door are females, and the other two - the one's I'm always taking pics of - are the males). They remind me of dogs. They really do have that sweet temperament.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!