Sunday, April 2, 2017

The Chickadee's Sunday Misadventure

 photo window.jpg
(Artwork: Unknown)

- Most of these pics were taken yesterday. It was a Saturday filled with yard work.

- Abby had a fun day. First, she befriended a fuzzy caterpillar and then about 30 seconds later she found a new rock to play with. Double Score!

- "Pedro" had lots of fun enjoying his dirt bath in his favorite spot beneath the tree.

- The newest baby birds that we have are just about the noisiest little one's ever!

 photo 1.jpg

 photo 2.jpg

 photo 3.jpg

 photo 4.jpg

 photo 5.jpg

 photo 6.jpg

 photo 7.jpg

 photo bb_430.jpg

 photo rest_600.jpg

 photo 8.jpg

 photo 9.jpg

 photo 10.jpg

 photo page-break.png

Today's Adventure, aka Mama to the Rescue!

 photo brett 5.jpg
(Artwork: Molly Brett)

We received a lot of rain for the first half of today. Mom saw that 4 of the new baby chickadee's were on the ground, soaking wet and cold. (It really isn't even cool outside - it hasn't been for over a month now - but these little birds are teensy). We warmed them up, then put them back in the nesting box with their sibling that was still in there. We also made a little perch for the Mom.

A little later a bluebird nearby, with babies of her own, investigated and the Mama Chickadee finally returned.

They all seem strong.... except for one, which is pretty sad. I really don't think that one will make it. It would barely move, while it's siblings - especially one of them - was just chattering away.

I think they're still too young to be learning to fly, especially in the pouring rain, so I think they must have tumbled out of the box.

I have a short video of the babies and Mom, but I can't upload any videos just yet. I've already met my weekly quota.

 photo 1.jpg

 photo 2.jpg

 photo 3.jpg

 photo hello.jpg

 photo 4.jpg

 photo 5.jpg

FYI: Today's little adventure reminded me of when we rescued "Fievel" the bluebird back in 2009. What's strange to us is that the day we rescued him was Easter, and a HUGE thunderstorm with HEAVY winds blew through. It was like tropical storm weather. Thank Goodness it never got that bad here today, although in Austin I hear it got pretty bad. 80 mph winds I think.

I wrote a post about our sweet little Fievel once. If interested in reading about it, click HERE. You won't regret it.

 photo green estr.png

1 comment:

  1. Pretty blog look here!!!!

    and lovely photos.

    Those little birds were very lucky, you spotted them and rescued them. Mmmm, maybe Mama is new at this, and isn't doing too good a job, with her first brood....?

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!