Saturday, June 24, 2017

Baby, it's H-O-T outside!


 photo hugh thomson 470.jpg

- Thank Goodness that tropical storm changed it's path, and we're still getting a little rain this weekend.

It usually rains every weekend - literally every single weekend - but it decided to skip us last week. While that was a welcomed change, I must admit that I missed it because I hated having to water the flowers every single day. (Although Abby LOVES when we're out there watering. She hunts for rocks and explores while I'm giving the flowers a drink).

- The birds still seem to love their new bird bath, and since it looks like the lizards are here to stay we've been leaving shallow dishes of water out for them.

I try to keep the water in both dishes/baths as cool as possible, so every now and then I'll add ice to them.

- I've noticed this year that the wasps are always inside the grass instead of just flying around. I guess the heat is the reason for this behavior? All I know is it's a little annoying because I have to keep an eye out that the dogs don't step on one.

 photo 98_109.jpg

That's how miserable it was on Friday, although in Austin it was far worse. My brother said his barometer read 112 degrees!

- The other day I chucked my teensy tiny television and got a 36" Smart TV! I love that it has YouTube on it. Now I can watch Walt Disney World videos on my own tv!

They say the tv gets "smarter" the more you use it. That sounds kinda creepy, no?  photo blink_zps6f8a60d8.gif

When I had a headache I couldn't NOT watch my new tv, so I put on my sunglasses (no joke) and decided to watch something whimsical and which doesn't remind me that it's summer outside.



Don't laugh. Yes, I watched Brambly Hedge. Photobucket

- I've been wanting to bake gingerbread for some odd reason, but can you believe not one store carries the mix? I really didn't want to buy it ready made since I want to smell it baking inside the oven!

 photo gbread 400.jpg

- I've also been wanting to try out this little coffee place at Henkel Square in Round Top.

During the antique show this previous spring, they had a little coffee bar open at the Junk Gypsy Headquarters. I really regret not trying it back then.

 photo 500ncb.jpg

See? That looks so good to me. It's Nitro Cold Brew iced coffee. It even has vanilla ice cream in it!

I think I'm just going to have to take a quick road trip to that place next week.

- Speaking of Round Top, isn't this place pretty?


(Don't know what the deal is with the Salsa music. lol!)

Look at the trees, and that huge monitor barn! (It still humors me that so many people here have barns larger than their houses). Those monitor barns are mine and my mother's favorite style of barn.

The house is fully restored and dates back to the late 1800's. It even has an old log cabin on the property.

I would think this place sold a while back and is worth at least close to a million. The market in Round Top is insanely high priced.

- Just for fun, yesterday Mom was looking at houses online outside the Austin area. She found one house that really fits her style. (Very Disney's "Wilderness Lodge" type of look, only without the green tin roof). It even had a guest house, and THE VIEW..... well it was to die for! It doesn't take much effort to imagine how lovely it'd be to watch storms rolling in from that high an elevation.

If only we could win the Texas Lottery tonight.

 photo page-break.png

 photo 622 rndm.png

 photo 1.jpg

 photo 2.jpg

 photo 3.jpg

 photo 4.jpg

 photo 5.jpg

 photo 6.jpg

Our Don Juan Rose Bush used to grow so prolifically. The blooms were H-U-G-E and they had the most fragrant scent.

Lately, however - due to the heat I guess - they're so small and even when they first bloom they're already like crepe paper.

 photo 7.jpg

 photo 8.jpg

The leaves on Mom's poor tomato plants are so brittle. A few of our chaste bushes are the same way, but not all of them. Thankfully, most of the plants so far are doing pretty well.

 photo 9.jpg

 photo 10.jpg

 photo 11.jpg

 photo 12.jpg

 photo 13.jpg

 photo 14.jpg

 photo 15.jpg

 photo page-break.png

 photo CHV 1.png

- One of the donkey's names is actually "Marsha," but we can't recall which one. Since we can't recall their real names, we re-named them ourselves.

Every time they hear the riding mower or push mower, they now come up to the fence and beg for carrots.

- You can probably guess that the second video was taken months ago. (One morning, back in April, we had a lovely cool spell. It didn't last all day, but it was gorgeous for a few hours).









 photo blue.png

1 comment:

  1. Love that white house, in the video. Salsa???? Good grief!!!!! Must have been made by Mexicans. But that music hardly goes, with the old fashioned looking house.

    Your heat, makes me be less upset, by the humidity we get here. Nothing like yours!!!

    Good that you got a new tv. Scary, that it is supposed to keep getting smarter. "you are now entering the twilight zone." brrrrrr... >,-)

    Bake ginger bread! In this heat? Don't you have a left-over ginger bread cookie candle some where????? :-))))))))

    Dare I say, we have perfect summer day here? Sun, breeze, cool, etc. -ducking, running, and hiding- :-)))

    Lots and lots of gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM and anonymous comments will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

As for everyone else, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my little (although rambling) blog. Be kind to yourself, and in true Disney fashion.... Have a Magical Day!